To answer this question, I think it is important to know exactly what Be Motivated Today are and what they do. Then you also need to know what a pyramid scheme is and how it works. Once you have these two facts, I wont need to answer the question for you – this is where logic will come into the picture for both of us! Afterwards, you can ask yourself again, is Be Motivated Today a pyramid scheme?
What is a Pyramid Scheme?
“A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of products or services to the public.”
The above definition might seem a bit formal, but that’s probably because it is! Credit goes to Wikipedia for this as I couldn’t have said it better! So lets look into this formal definition for a moment and analyze some key points.
The first thing that strikes me is that it’s an unsustainable business. This means that it is impossible to maintain and it’s bound to fail at some point.
Secondly, it involves promising payment or services, merely for the sake of getting others into the scheme.
Lastly, there is no real investment or sale of products or services.
Interestingly enough, these schemes have been around for many, many years. Not only that but it’s now illegal in many countries – probably due to it’s ethical standpoint, which is to simply funnel money to the top of the pyramid. Who cares about the ground workers, right?
Before I go carry on with what Be Motivated Today are and what they do, I’d like to share two interesting points.
- The first point is that when you look at the company you work for (or not), what shape is your organizational chart? Chances are that it’s a pyramid!
- The second point is that a scheme is exactly that, a scheme – a way to scam or swindle your way, by plotting and scheming!
So, when you separate the phrase “pyramid scheme”, you end up with something quite different!
Now, let’s look into Be Motivated Today.
What is Be Motivated Today?
I’ll give you the short answer – they are a motivational company (registered business in South Africa) that provide motivational products and services with the opportunity to build a passive income. The way that one can build a passive income is through network marketing.
This is where things can get very heated as there is a fine line between a pyramid scheme and network marketing. I’m not going to go into this here but feel free to read up on this topic yourself. Even better, read this article!
The truth of the matter is that a pyramid scheme is not the same as network marketing. Granted, there may be some companies that exploit network marketing and basically fall into the pyramid scheme category. However, this does not make them the same thing, because they’re not. Anyway, that’s for another day… let’s go back to the first three points I made above:
- Be Motivated Today have been a sustainable business for over 6 years – most network marketing companies don’t last that long and if they do, they’ve ‘made it’ already.
- Be Motivated Today sell motivational products and services. The CEO and founder has been a motivational speaker for over a decade – go figure.
- Their products are real and you get more than what you pay for. The passive income opportunity is simply a big bonus, which is like a double edged sword if you ask me.
- Since pyramid schemes are illegal in South Africa and seeing that they have been a registered business in this country for many years… see where I’m going with this?
- As a normal registered company, their organizational chart will be in a pyramid shape! Does this make them a ‘pyramid scheme’?
Watch this short, funny video below to see why network marketing is not a pyramid scheme:
(It’s a little cheesy and not a Hollywood production but I’m sure you’ll get the point 🙂
So, what do you think? Tell me what pyramid schemes you have joined – can you see now why they are a pyramid scheme?
If you still believe that Be Motivated Today is a pyramid scheme, I can only refer you back to the video above and tell you to check them out for yourself, which you can actually do without spending a penny (very unlike a pyramid scheme)!